Sunday, February 20, 2011

Quick and Easy Project

I love doing projects with things I already have around the house!



I found this little wooden crate at a thrift store several years ago (yep -$2.92 lol). It sat on our kitchen counter with plates in it for years.  When we did our kitchen remodel, I put it away and kind of forgot about it.  The weather was so pretty this weekend,  I guess I got in the mood for spring cleaning and while I was taking some things up to the attic I found it again and decided to do something else with it.


We have lots of family get-togethers at our house and I always serve the meal buffet style.  I never know what to do with the cutlery...sometimes I set the table and just put the plates on the buffet, but that's not always practical.  I've looked for something cute to put the cutlery in and I've found lots of pretty little baskets, but most of them seemed more appropriate for an outdoor type meal.

I saw this on someone else's blog (I can't take credit for the idea) and when I saw this little crate again, thought it would be perfect and I already had everything I needed on hand!

First, I gave it a couple of coats of ivory paint.



After the paint was dry, I sanded around the edges and a little on the front to distress it and rubbed some dark brown glaze over it.


My litte Nerdy Bird had given me an antique pendant several years ago that I took off the chain and attached to the front with some E-6000 adhesive.


I'm going to be on the lookout for some mason jars to use in it, but for now, I just used some jars I already had.  I think there is even enough room in the back to add plates.


If the person who had this on their blog happens to see this, please let me know so I can give you credit!  I started a folder of inspiration pics a long time ago before I ever thought about blogging and didn't note where I saw it. 


Now I need to think of an excuse to use it!


We have several projects going at once this weekend - this was a quick one while I was waiting on paint to dry on another one ha!  I've had several people ask for a tutorial on the cabinet fronts - we are doing the same thing in our laundry room so I will have it up soon!

Have a great week!



1 comment: