Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Saturday Spray Paint-a-Thon

Last weekend's weather was so beautiful I couldn't stand to stay inside!  I gathered some of the decor in my house as well as some that has been hibernating in the garage to give them a little makeover.

A few of the victims candidates:


I already had about 4 cans of my favorite Oil Rubbed Bronze spray paint:


When we remodeled the den this past fall, we mounted a flat screen TV above the mantel.  That was a difficult decision because I love to decorate the mantel for the different seasons.  But it really seemed to work with the floorplan and although I don't regret it (don't worry honey, I'm not going to ask to move it), it's a decorating challenge to make a pretty mantel.  I've been looking for something with a low profile and we found this little beauty for $3 on one of our Habitat  Restore trips:



It's an old brass light fixture that I'm trying to figure out where it would have been used...the bulbs would have to have been tiny.  Anyhoo...I took it apart and gave it a good coat of ORB, remounted the globes (?) and put white votives in them. 

So now we have this:


 We also found this.  It had no price tag, so the lady sold it to us for $1:


I think it was a porchlight or maybe a hall light?  I don't know, but she had pretty beveled glass lenses and just needed a little surgery makeover:


Now she's on one side of the mantel:



She's helping me balance out the Shanty Sisters Apothecary Jars on the other end. This is one of the most fun projects I've done. 

Check out Ashley and Whitney's other creations and see the jar tutorial here


We also had some of these lurking around the garage:


They weren't able to escape the spray paint frenzy either.  I'm not finished with them yet, but I love these Pottery Barn lanterns.

This is the direction I'm going (sorry so pixely):


Several other things received a fresh coat of paint as well, but I'm saving those for other projects...wouldn't make much sense if I posted them now!

Hope you were able to spend some time outside doing what you love!





I'm linking up with Remodelaholics Anonymous Party. Click on the button below to see some great projects!





4 comments:

  1. Those look great! I am on the lookout for some old brass fixtures to turn into lanterns. I do have a chandelier in my garage that will get done this spring for my oldest daughter's "paris" room. Isn't spray paint a wonderful thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you use primer before spray painting? I'm looking to make over a couple of hand-me-down lamps that are brass (ew).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great! I love, love, love ReStore. We now have THREE scattered throughout our city, and I'll make an afternoon of digging through each and every one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katie, no I didn't prime. I did use some very fine-grit sand paper to rough them up a bit, but that's all.

    Thanks, everyone for the comments!

    ReplyDelete